06 Feb 2023 Phishing Scams Aimed at QuickBooks Users
As tax season is fast approaching, this is often the time that scammers are amping up their efforts to steal your personal information. The best way to protect yourself against these attacks is through awareness and prevention.
How to Spot Fraudulent Emails
Suspicious emails can be a way for scammers to get you to share your personal information. Some things to remember are:
- Intuit will NEVER ask for your personal information in an email
- Intuit emails will always come from an email address with domains ending in @intuit.com or @e.intuit.com
- Any links sent to you from intuit will be from an intuit.com address. Don’t click on any other links.
Suspicious emails will say they are from intuit and may ask you to log in, provide personal information, or download “tools.” If you have received one of these emails, do not open or access any of the links.
Customer Support Scams
Watch out for customer support scams. We have heard from our clients that they often get calls from fake intuit representatives stating, “Your QuickBooks subscription will expire soon. We can take care of your QuickBooks subscription over the phone. Just give us your credit card number or banking information for ACH” –Never give your banking information over the phone in instances like this.
Scammers may also offer tech support for a nonexistent problem with your computer. They are only after your money and getting your personal information. Here are some tips to avoid customer support scams.
- Ignore phone numbers you see in a pop-up.
- Find a legitimate contact number on the company’s website.
- Connect via online chat if it’s available.
- Hang up if you get a customer support call you aren’t expecting and call back using a number you can verify.
- Give remote access to your computer only if you’re sure the support is legitimate.
To help keep everyone protected from these types of frauds, notify intuit about suspicious emails or correspondents. When we all work together as a team, we can make the environment a safe and secure place to do business. For the full intuit article and additional resources, click here.
DO YOU HAVE QUESTIONS OR WANT TO TALK?
Fill out the form below and we’ll contact you to discuss your specific situation.